Sunday, December 12, 2010

a Sunday morning trip to the ER

This morning started off like any other Sunday morning. Joe left early for praise team at church. I didn't have nursery or anything this morning, so the kids and I were having a relaxing morning and then going to the late service at church.

I took a shower while the kids were playing. I was in the midst of blow drying my hair when I heard Joey run into my room and say, "mommy, come see Kylah!" I immediately heard her screaming.

I ran out to the living room to see my little girl covered in blood from head to toe and standing in front of the fireplace. Joey quickly tells me that she pulled the stocking down (which means she pulled the stocking holder down too). I thought at first it was her nose bleeding (she tends to get nose bleeds really easily when something hits her nose, so we've actually seen her covered in blood before.) I grab the first thing I can find...Simba's little stocking...and start trying to find the source of her bleeding. I soon realized that it wasn't coming out of her nose but from the bridge of her nose. I carried her to the kitchen to get a cold wash rag on it. I finally got the bleeding to stop and realized that she was probably going to need stitches.

Of course, with her being a girl, the first thing I think of is that she's going to have a scar on her pretty little nose!

I sent Joey off to clean the blood off of the fireplace tiles (Kylah actually somehow managed to only bleed all over the tiles and not on the carpet!) Joey did an excellent job of cleaning up the blood for me while I got dressed (remember I had been getting ready).

I called Joe on the way to the ER to let him know we were headed there. I could have actually done the repair myself, but the thought of wrangling a 2 year old by myself, and thinking of the scar that would ensue if I did a bad job, I decided to leave this to someone else.

Kylah actually did great for the ER doctor. She was like an angel and let them clean up her cut. The doctor decided to use glue instead of stitches (which made me realize I could have DEFINITELY done this at my work!) because of where the cut was. It looks pretty good now, and I'll just start using Mederma to cut down on scarring once it starts to heal.

She doesn't look to worse for the wear here!

A little close-up of her owie.

She got a cute little teddy bear from the ER doctor. And it was actually the quickest ER visit in history. We were there for a total of less than an hour!

We are reinforcing the "do not touch the stockings" rule (which we had already made a rule, but which apparently was a rule broken by Kylah today!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh ouch, sweet little Kylah! Thankfully, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it was going to look. That's great that they could use the glue! She looks so cute. =)

I'm pretty sure natural consequences did their job and you won't have to worry about anyone touching those stockings again!

christine said...

Oh my goodness! Poor little thing. That picture of her is so sweet with her owie. Way to go-- sounds like you handeled it in such a normal "Michelle" way. Calm, efficient. You are awesome.