Sunday, December 6, 2009

One sweet, sweet little boy

So, it was a little bit of a rough day around the Manthe house. Phase One of moving to Arkansas is complete. Joe starts his new job tomorrow morning, so he was off to Dave and Mere's house today (that's where he'll be staying for the next month.)

I was doing OK until it was time to actually say good-bye. I started crying...I couldn't help it! I know this is what we want, and I know this is what God wants us to do, but it is so hard to split up our little family---even if it's only for a few weeks (and I am so thankful it is only for a few weeks!)

So, anyway, when we were saying good-bye, Joey realizes that I am crying. Up until this point he was fine saying good-bye to daddy. As soon as he sees me crying, his eyes instantly well up with tears, and he starts semi-freaking out. He keeps saying, "Mommy, please stop crying. Why are you crying mommy? Please be happy mommy. Please smile mommy." It seriously about broke my heart. But, I pull it together enough to try to crack a (totally fake) smile. Joey calms down a little.

We head outside to do the "long Manes good-bye". :) I'm trying, but I just can't help it, and I start crying again. So, yep, Joey loses it again too. I kept trying to tell him that mommy wasn't hurt, she was just a little sad to say good-bye to daddy, but we'll see daddy in a few weeks, so we don't need to be too sad. Not working to help calm Joey down. All he knows is that mommy is crying, and he's not cool with that. He starts dry-heaving because he's so upset. Once again, I pull myself together, stop the tears, and put on a "happy" face for Joey. All the while trying to get him to take deep breaths and gain control. (Kylah, meanwhile, won't let me put her down, so I'm doing all this while holding two children in my lap!)

I somehow managed to convince Joey that I am happy (even with my swollen, red eyes). I put on a Curious George for him to watch and go make lunch.

Trust me...I did not cry in front of him again for the rest of the day!

However, I did receive so many hugs and "I love you mommy"s today that it was enough to make my heart melt. It was as if deep inside he knew I was still sad and needed lots of hugs.

And then, to top it all off, when I'm leaving his room after putting him to bed tonight, he says this to me, "I'm sorry you were sad about daddy leaving, mommy. I'm here to take care of you, because I'm a....(pause while he thinks)...animal rescuer! (Like Diego of Go, Diego, Go).

Someday this little dude is going to make a fantastic, sensitive husband. Until then, he's all mine to snuggle and kiss and to tell him what a wonderful little boy he is!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a precious, precious story! Joey is wonderfully sensitive. I was starting to tear up during the story until you said that he was starting to dry-heave. I know my response wasn't appropriate, but it made me giggle a little. I'm so sorry that it was because he was upset!

Anyway, you guys are certainly in our prayers daily!!! I wish I could help out with the kids, or the moving, or SOMETHING!

Elisa Seaba said...

How incredibly sweet!! Hope your time apart goes quickly!

Gram said...

That one's a keeper...nothing like sapping out on a Monday morning at work...I had to play the videos to make me smile and stop the tears from running down my face. Love you all!!

Christine said...

What a little sweetie!! And so precious that he was sensitive to your mood the entire day! Call anytime if life is crazy and you need to vent!

Amy said...

Such a sweet little guy, and such a sad post! I'm still wiping my tears. I am praying for you three for these weeks (well, I guess Joe too, although we know who has tougher end of the deal, ha ha....)
Let me know how things are going and how I can help you when you get here! Mere said the child care search is still a dead end. If you need something temporary, I'd be happy to help. Let me know.