Thursday, April 20, 2017

mushroom hunting

 So a random thing we have learned about Arkansas is that there are a few weeks a year that edible wild mushrooms grow. Apparently they are quite the high commodity if you can find them. Well there are some wild mushrooms (called morel mushrooms I think..) that grow in the valley behind Dave and Meredith's house. Joey, Audrey and Kylah went hunting for them one afternoon and came back with a few. They look quite funny, but we were up for trying them! Meredith was gone, so she told me how to make them. It wasn't until after we ate them that she said "they were hollow, right??" (Apparently that's how you can tell if they are edible or poisonous.) I gave her a hard time for waiting until after we ate them to be sure! :)  (don't worry...they were hollow...) :)

Audrey and Kylah prepped the mushrooms and we cooked them in oil.

The finished product. Not much to look at. And honestly I didn't think they tasted that good, but they weren't bad. 

And this is sometimes my view when I walk outside. I love it. Basketball and random neighbor kids playing (by random I usually mean the Adair kids.) ;) 

2 comments:

Katie said...

What? How did we not know this? Jake loves fried morels. Sounds like we should plan a trip to your house April 20th 2018.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those sell for at least $30/lb here! That's awesome!